Go Back   Anglerschat > Freshwater Fishing > Panfish/Crappie

Old 09-28-05, 10:01 AM
Illinoisgiller Offline

Illinoisgiller
one pound bluegill

OK, here is a tough one. How many of you have got a one pound or greater bluegill this year. I thought I was on a few , but the best were a tad over 3/4 lb. That is a nice gill here in the midwest IL.. There are pounders here ,but I just haven't gotten on one this year.
I had a conversation about this with a shop owner in Caruthersville ,Mo. and he said "gills are measured like sasuage, you have to allow for shrinkage". Most all pound gills are actually 3/4 lb. " lol Mike
Old 09-28-05, 12:57 PM
oldguy-2 Offline

oldguy-2
I got one on my wall that my Dad caught a long time ago in Morgan County. It weighed 1 lb, 5 or 6 oz. He just referred to it as "pound and a 1/3." Anyway it's a dandy - really thick! Got that and a bass mount (I'd guess 7-8 lbs) when he died. As I recall, the Gill was weighed on a grocery store scale.

Here's a pic of the bluegill
Attached Images

Oldguy-2
Old 09-29-05, 07:39 AM
Illinoisgiller Offline

Illinoisgiller
oldguy-2, Nice mount.!!! Isn't it strange how the body shape differs in different areas? The bigguns in this area are much more rounded in profile. I got on a couple red ear that were a pound, but the big gills are eluding me for now. lol I fish public waters and they get a fair bit of pressure here. Mike
Old 08-06-06, 11:14 AM
lacrosseplayer Offline

lacrosseplayer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lacrosseplayer
biggest brim

i think the biggest ones i caught this year were sum shell cracker both were aroung a pound in a half, i culda swore they were bass when i reeled them in i caught them one after another on redworms
Old 11-20-08, 03:11 AM
clint999

I got one on my wall that my Dad caught a long time ago in Morgan County. It weighed 1 lb, 5 or 6 oz. He just referred to it as "pound and a 1/3." Anyway it's a dandy - really thick! Got that and a bass mount (I'd guess 7-8 lbs) when he died. As I recall, the Gill was weighed on a grocery store scale.

Here's a pic of the bluegill
Old 11-20-08, 06:22 AM
Illinoisgiller Offline

Illinoisgiller
Thumbs up Re: one pound bluegill

It would be neat to have a nice mount like that to relive the memories when you see it.
I hear far to often that someone got a mess of gills and they were a over pound each. An actual one pound gill is quite rare in most places .I'm pretty sure I have got really close if not right on a pound gill, but didn't carry a little scale back then. I've caught more than my share of what I call " bigguns", and gives me a thrill just thinking about the good times.

For you folks that live and fish in the few parts of the country where huge gills are somewhat common ,you can bet I am envious of your fortune.lol The pond around the corner can hold the next "biggun". lol

I wish you all a good tussle with a bull gill on the end of a light line. ole Mike
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: