Go Back   Anglerschat > Saltwater Fishing > Pier/Surf/Shore

Old 09-30-05, 01:11 PM
ScottyC Offline

ScottyC
Talking Hawaii - Maui Surf fishing - I NEED HELP!

Hello my name is Scott. I'm new to this bolg! But it seems great!! I'm from Portland Oregon and have fish for the following locally:

Salmon/sturgeon/trout/steelhead the native's of the great NW!

Problem: Going to MAUI end of october and going fishing! I know nothing about fishing Hawaii from shore!!!!!

Please post links on rigs/tips/techs/live bait...... I would love to hear about your fish tales fishing in hawaii as well!

I will be bringing a 8ft "wompin pole" and a salt water spinning reel with 15lb test... hope this will work? Any help you can give to making a GREAT fishing trip to MAUI would be wonderful!

Look forward to your help and advise/links!!!!

Thank you,

Scott
Old 10-04-05, 09:51 PM
Samurai Offline

Samurai
Fishing in Hawaii

If you want to fish for the "Big Boys" then try going to www.ulua-fishing.com. They talk about all kinds of fishing in Hawaii but primarily for Uluas (Giant Trevally). The gear you stated would be sufficient for "small game" like Mois,Oios,Papios,etc... but will be too small for Uluas. The gear we use are 13'-14' rods and conventional reels that hold at least 300 yards of 50-100# test.Lead weights between 8-12 oz.--- If you go to the above website,look at the "Casting" thread and go to the Jerry Valentine visit. There's pictures of guys casting this type of rods.---Try using circle hooks locally sold as "BKN hooks" in the size ranges about 22-26 with your setup that you're bringing. When you get here try calling the local tackle stores to buy fresh bait called "Tako" or Octopus. The supermarkets should have Calamari and maybe Aku belly. These would be good baits to dunk with.----If you bring your Salmon/Steelhead rods in the 9-10' range,these would be good to whip with.A reel with like 8-10 lb. test and 1/2-1 oz. leads,leaders from 6-12 lb. test and locally available hooks called "AH or MZ" hooks.I think they sell these on the mainland as wide gap hooks.Odoul hooks work good as well both in the 10 size and a 2" curly tail grub will work.---Will try to post more later but try checking the thread on this board about Uluas in Hawaii in the mean time.
Old 10-20-05, 09:22 PM
Samurai Offline

Samurai
fishing in Hawaii

ScottyC--- Sorry I just saw your email.Having problems with it.---Anyways a dunking rig is something you cast out with bait and leave for awhile ind hopefully get a bite. What you do is tie your mainline to a barrel swivel,tie you hook and line to the other end of the swivel,then you tie the bank sinker to a lead line and tie that to the barrel swivel on the mainline side.Does that make sence?If you get a chance,go to a book store when you get here and look at Fishing Hawaii Style Vol.1-3 by Jim Rizzuto. They have descritions and illustrations of all types of rigs.

As far as fishing for sharks,your best bet is fishing in the harbors at night. Sharks can be caught anywhere allthough noone here really target them.---Some native Hawaiians have religious ties to sharks.---Hope this info isn't too late.Good Luck and Hanapa'a (hook up)!!
Old 10-23-05, 10:09 PM
Samurai Offline

Samurai
Hanapa'a

Some public parks have hours where they may close the park but other than that there's no time restictions.---As far as fishing license goes,you'll only need one if you plan on going fresh-water fishing.I beleive the fee is one dollar and can be purchased at most sporting good stores. Salt-water fishing does not require any license but we do have restrictions as far as minimun size and quantity of certain species.A booklet covering this can also be found at most sporting good stores.If you see someone on the beach where you're at,try asking some questions and talking story.Most people are willing to help.---Aloha!
Old 10-24-05, 07:19 AM
ScottyC Offline

ScottyC
thank you!

well 2 more days and i'll be leaving for maui. Thank you so much for the advise!

Scott
Old 10-25-05, 08:48 PM
Samurai Offline

Samurai
Wish you the best of luck! I hope the info was of help and didn't just make things more confusing. Hope you and your family have a good time in the islands.---Aloha!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: