at
CupidFish

Go Back   Anglerschat > Freshwater Fishing > Catfish/Rough Fish

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes

Old 01-21-02, 03:18 PM
Catman767 Offline

Catman767
Post Trot line tying tip....

I just got through making some new trot lines for next spring.... Here is a good way to keep the main line from getting tangled while you tie the knots to keep the swivels in place...
Tie your main line to what ever you use as a starting point.
Feed the rest of the main line into a 1 liter sodapop bottle
It is easy to feed the bottle through the line as you tie the knots.
The line will feed out of the bottle as you need it.....

Catman

If people concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing rods.
Old 01-21-02, 04:31 PM
justwannano Offline

justwannano
Something else you might try

One time I stole some macrame beads from my wife.
They were plastic and worked OK for swivel stops. I just doubled the line and fed the line through the hole slipped the line around the bead and it was done.

Trot line brads are pretty cheap. This catalog "Nylon Net Company" has them for $2.19 per bag of 100.Its an old catalog though.
Old 01-24-02, 06:14 PM
Catman767 Offline

Catman767
Hey Justwannano, That sounds like a good tip.... I think I will just buy a bag of them at wallyworld as I am scared of the old lady... LOL. She gets real mean when you mess with her craft supplies.

If people concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing rods.
Old 01-24-02, 06:18 PM
Catman767 Offline

Catman767
Lightbulb More trot line tips

Ok lets hear your best trot line tip.... Weather it is a tip about how or where to set them..... Best bait to use.... Or some construction trick you know..... I am sure there are many people out there who would like to hear them ..... Catman

Old 01-24-02, 07:50 PM
justwannano Offline

justwannano
When I was running the 4 trot lines with 50 hooks each it really got the creative juices running. I'd only run 15 hook "Throw lines" before. That extra 35hooks spaced 4' apart was more than my old aching arm could handle.

My boat has tiller stearing so how to put them out?????

I fumbled with several "methods" and decided to build boxes with sloping sides and notches that hold the hooks when stored.
I just baited the hooks and let the hook hang barely over the sides of the box.The line was carefully laid in the box so it would follow the preceding hook.

I usually fish alone so how to handle the line and steer the boat?

I built a shelf that sat barely above the motor and I put the box on that. I'd steer the boat with one hand and use the other to make sure the hooks didn't foul. I wasn't always sure of the (((exact))) direction I was going but I never got into trouble.

It's probably easier on a lake because I had to deal with wind and current. Even in the backwaters there is some current on that big river.
Old 01-25-02, 04:35 PM
Catman767 Offline

Catman767
Down here we use a box similar to what you described.... They are called jump boxes and are made to be stacked on top of each other.... Some of the commercial guys will set 1000 - 2000 hooks.. I use a single box as we can only set 25 hooks w/o a commercial license.... I am making up some 12 hook lines that will have the float and weight already attached... The reason is I fish most of the time alone and I think they will be easy to run... I will give more info on them after I try them out..... Catman

Old 01-25-02, 05:37 PM
justwannano Offline

justwannano
1000 to 2000 hooks WOW !!!

Any tips on how to make sure they don't get tangled?

Do you fish rivers ,lakes or salt water??

How about the commercial guys.

Whats your target fish? and whats your choice for bait?

What do the commercial guys fish for?What do they use for bait?

The commercial fishermen can only net rough fish here.
I know a guy that hangs around the "big guys" and they give him the catfish they catch.
Old 01-27-02, 06:33 AM
Catman767 Offline

Catman767
Justwannano, Down here the commercial guys fish for catfish... They fish the big lakes.... As for bait, I have heard of them using every thing from mayflies, corn, grass shrimp, soap... I think they use anything they can get cheap....
The bad thing is the fish farms have just about put the commerical guy out of business....
As for the lines getting tangled, They don't very often... Even with stacked boxes the whole line can be run with no tangles...
The one thing different they do than I do, is they run their lines without bait and then go back and bait them after they are in the water... I bait mine first and just run it out a lot slower....

Old 01-27-02, 07:23 AM
justwannano Offline

justwannano
Catfish

thanks for the info.

I never thought of using mayflies for cats.
I usually try to avoid the area when we have a hatch. Around here they hatch in swarms. They are harmless but having them crawling down your shirt or up your pantleg is kinda creepy.

I can sure understand the "whatevers cheap " comment. I'm surprised you didn't mention shrimp though.Maybe its harder catching them than I imagined.I just seem to think the other guys got it easier.

I too put my lines out baited. Its just easier when you are doing things alone. but I'm sure the commercial guys down your way leave their lines in more than 2 days a week.

FWIW I don't have any tying tips. I have never really thought of that much. I did go to Tiny's site and maybe I need to pay more attention to tying. It makes sence to use every tip you can come across.

Gotta go my wifes calling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: